Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Birthdays & Thanksgiving

The weekend before Thanksgiving we got together to celebrate a couple of birthdays. Here is the birthday boy (my nephew)with his cake. His mom makes amazing cakes and she was 9 months pregnant when she made this one.
 We also celebrated my sister-in-law's birthday and here she is watching our niece steal the candy off of her cake. She didn't mind though.

  As promised here is a larger picture of the quilt that I finished last week. Unfortionately I'm still not finding the right lighting to take good pictures in especially now that the sun sets so early. Even though in this picture the quilt looks really distorted, it really is square.

Sunday after our birthday parties we went to grandpa's house. Grandpa always tries to send us home with the latest thing he found in the attic or some more of grandma's crafting supplies. He's been giving away grandma's stash now for over four years since she died. Though he's given away the majority of it there is still a lot of selection if you know what you are looking for.  Whenever we go, I always bring things home from grandma's craft room and this time was no exception. I have now added to my stash 4 boxes of fabric, a half a dozen balls of crochet thread, a complete set (every size) of kniting needles in a couple different lengths and some for working in the round, a crochet hook thingy (we are not sure what it's used for but I was sent home with it to do research), all of the leftover thread and the display to hang on the wall and a various stack of pattern books. It's a lot like shopping in a vintage craft store where the tating shuttle is stored with the knitting needles which belong on the shelf next to the quilting fabric.  Though we have now gotten through all of the closets we are still finding new and fun toys to take home and play with. (Anna do you need more yarn? There are still several boxes to go through we could surprise you with one ;))

This Thanksgiving was the first that I have spent without seeing any of my family. It was a little weird buy I still had fun with Jason's family. We had traditional Thanksgiving dinner at Jason's mom's house which was only an hour late this year thanks to many extra hands. We then went to Jason's grandma's house, where everyone was looking through ads and planning their black friday shopping. The night quickly turned into a casino night as more people showed up.

This year Jason and I participated in Black Friday which is very unusual becasue neither of us enjoy crowds. We started our shopping at 5:00 and were back home by 6 with both things that we wanted. Jason then went to the farm and I worked on Christmas projects until about 8 when I went back out to JoAnns. Some how with my lack of sleep that morning I miscalcualted how much flannel I needed for the two projects and I purchased twice as much. Oh well, my stash could aways use more flannel. Saturday morning we again got up early to head out to get a deal on a new tv for my craft room. My old one had started to squeal at me which drove Jason crazy so he decided that it was time to replace it.

As soon as I have time to take pictures I have another project finished. Hopefully I'll be able to add several more to the finished list in the next week before things start getting really busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment