Thursday, November 3, 2011

Update on last years goals

In December of last year I wrote a post about my goals for the upcoming new year and I thought it was time for an update.

From December:
"In less than two weeks we will be starting a new year and in honor of the New Year I will be simplifying my life. I will be cleaning out my dashboard and eliminating blogs that no longer inspire me. I will be deleting the games off of my Facebook and may unfriend/block a few people as needed. Life has gotten so complicated lately that I decided to start my new year early. The family/IL drama no longer warrants any attention and neither does my work drama. I will be more optimistic and will complain less to my husband. I will try to be less snarky and will love my nieces and nephews equally regardless of their parents’ personal opinions/decisions. Hopefully the next year will bring us closer to our dream and will inspire both of us to be better people. What do you want for your New Year?"

I have purged my facbook friends and blog reader on multiple occasions this year. The last set of cuts were rather drastic. It appears that the facebook layout will also help make the unimportant things disappear if I don't interact with people regularly though I'm not sure that I like this feature because I often use facebook to keep up to date with old friends that I don't get to see often.

I have come to accept that there will always be some sort of inlaw drama because there are so many of us and it is just best if I just smile and laugh about it later with the girls. Most of the work drama has resolved itself but it is always amazing how the presence of one or two people can greatly affect the work atmosphere.  Some poeple can't help but to overstep and create messes for others to clean up.

I am generally an optimistic person and have complained less to my husband because I am letting a lot more slide by. The snark appears to have taken on a whole new level but my husband appears to be enjoying it. I have also become a lot more outspoken which is amazing since I have always been the super shy type.  On Halloween  when my brother-in-law told his sister, who had just sat down to breastfeed, that "the dining area is for food not for boobs" I replied that "this is where the boobs appear to be gathering tonight" in reference to the fact that he was the only guy in the room. Opps, did I say that out loud? I'm lucky to have married into a family that has an unusual sense of humor because I got a good laugh. In all truth, he's lucky that my mind filtered the women's right to breastfeed, in her mother's house, in the corner of a room, under a cover speech because the first time he complains about me breastfeeding he's going to hear it.

I still love all the neices and nephews and love having them over even though it appears that half of them have been banned from staying on a regular basis. Their last stay shed a little light on a possible reason why. While I respect their parents' right to parent as they see fit, I pray that we raise our children to see past labels and be a lot more open minded and tolerant of others and their beliefs.

We are still working on that dream but I am a lot more content with where we are at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment